Mama Chaka’s Franchise Concept
- When considering the final product, the circumstances and needs of the target consumer have been carefully researched and analysed. Firstly, the target market is the South African ethnic majority and the model takes into consideration the strong cultural influences and traditions which have a significant bearing on lifestyles and eating habits.
- The target areas are the townships because of the population densities and the fact that a large portion of the township dwellers commute to work in adjacent cities. The townships are made up of permanent residents, their families, tenants and informal settlers. A distinction in the lifestyles and eating habits of the permanent residents and the informal settlers can be made and must be catered for when considering product accessibility.
- A key distinction between township life and suburban life is the social contact and interaction. Townships are far more interconnected with face-to-face interactions, word of mouth and social networking the strongest influence on behavioral patterns. Old-style shebeens and taverns are the core of the township culture and an important social gathering point.
- Most of these establishments are very informal with alcohol and music key to their success and have a minimal or non-existent food offering. Some of the more affluent taverns have become tourist destinations and serve predominantly traditional African food with a western slant.
- For the residents of the townships who commute to and from the cities every day, preparing meals with limited facilities and in little time is a challenge. For most a simple meal bought from a spaza comprising a half loaf of bread and a tin of pilchards or similar is the most likely and affordable option. For the permanent residents with a wife or mother at home to cook, the menu is a little more comprehensive but still subject to budget constraints.
- The Mama Chaka's concept is designed to provide this target market with freshly prepared, wholesome and nutritious meals cooked the way Mama used to do. The meals are packed in sealed and labelled containers and delivered to the franchise kiosks as often as is required. The kiosks are equipped with fridges and microwave ovens or bain-maries to store and heat the meals for the customers on demand.
- The Mama Chaka's franchise is a supply-based franchise and the franchisees are required to undertake very limited preparation of the meals. The meals are prepared in central kitchens using proprietary recipes and fresh product. The meals are chilled and / or frozen after packing and then delivered in refrigerated vehicles. Every meal has a batch code and an expiry date which the franchisee is obliged to adhere to in terms of the franchise agreement.
- It is not essential for the franchisee to have extensive skills, but a sound knowledge of the cooked meals, their preparation and serving method as well as hygiene and cleanliness is mandatory. Franchisees are also selected based on their standing in their local communities and their commitment to quality and service excellence.
- The complete kiosk and all the equipment required is detailed further in this section, headed “franchise package”.
- This franchise package is an integral part of the Mama Chaka's franchise and is required by all franchisees for each retail site.
- The franchisee must qualify for a rental facility to fund the franchise package either through his own bank or via the franchisor if available.
- Failure to qualify for the rental of a franchise package in terms of the rental agreement would render the franchise agreement null and void.
Kiosk Franchise Package
Package from R80,000
Spaza Franchise Package
EFC Service and Product Offering
Operation of the Mama Chaka’s business, includes the following:
EFC provides support and infrastructure to all franchisees and vendors:
|Provide requisite training in the operation of a Mama Chaka’s kiosk and Mama Chaka’s business||Facilitate the procurement of funding required by franchisees to setup and operate a Mama Chaka’s Kiosk||Provide the necessary Mama Chaka’s advertising and merchandise materials to promote the business||EFC to take part in advertising and promotional activities to promote and create general brand awareness||Provide point of sale support||Enable and facilitate the provision of Meals & Meat Products and a retail service of a high quality to pave the way for a sustainable operation||Assist Franchisees and vendors in the general operation of their business||Timeous delivery of Meals & Meat Products ordered by Franchisees and Vendors|